Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index
This is an artist's rendering of what the Joe and Rosie Ruhl Student Community Center may look like after renovations.
This is an artist's rendering of what the Joe and Rosie Ruhl Student Community Center may look like after renovations.

Major gifts can be made to capital projects (i.e., buildings or additions to buildings) that have been approved by the University.  Donors may memorialize or honor a loved one through giving to capital projects.

Some additional facts about capital gifts: A building can be named for a donor if at least 50 percent of the cost of the building has been given by that donor in the form of either cash or funds derived over a maximum five-year pledge period.

Learn... Live... Work... Play... Penn State York's New Commitment to Wellness

Today’s students value a holistic approach to their college education – they look to Universities to nurture mind, body, and spirit and impact their lives beyond the classroom. Quality wellness and recreation facilities have become essential. The Joe and Rosie Ruhl Student Community Center (the Student Center) was dedicated and opened in 1970. If you played a sport or scheduled a kinesiology class from 1971 to today, you know your way around the campus’ gymnasium and the locker rooms . . . and they look much the same today as they did when you were a student!

In the coming year, that will change as we hope to receive the final approval for a $12 million dollar facelift to the Student Center at the September meeting of the Penn State Board of Trustees. The project’s 12,000 square foot addition includes a new fitness facility with a wall of windows looking out into the center of campus to provide beautiful four-season views. A multi-activity court (MAC) has been designed to provide overflow space for activities that currently compete for time and space in the gymnasium: indoor practice sessions for athletic teams, and expanded kinesiology curriculum.

A second component of the design will provide a new home for our student affairs department including a new student life leadership suite for organizations such as the Student Government Association and the Blue and White Society.

We are committed to this significant physical plant enhancement to improve and support student services, create a greater sense of community, and ensure that our student life facilities match the high level of excellence of our academic divisions.

Through various funding sources from within the University, Penn State will fund 91 percent of the total cost of the project – the campus is seeking support from alumni and friends for the remaining 9 percent ($1,000,000). Contact Di Hershey at dkh13@psu.edu or by phone at 717-771-4127 if you share our vision of maintaining a modern university in the York community and would like to join our efforts to transform Penn State York for the next generation of college students.