Program Contact: Coordinator of the Master of Education in Teaching and Curriculum – 717-771-8413
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program Specialist Certification consists of five graduate-level courses taken with a cohort of other elementary and secondary teachers from the area. Courses are offered at the Penn State York campus and can be taken consecutively over five semesters.
- EDUC 466: Foundations of Teaching English as a Second Language
- EDUC 467: English Language Structure and Linguistics for English as a Second Language Teachers
- EDUC 468: Language Acquisition for English as a Second Language Teachers
- EDUC 469: Teaching English as a Second Language Methods and Assessment
- EDUC 475: English as a Second Language Leadership, Research, and Advocacy
Due to requirements issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, each course will include field experiences that need to be completed by the student.