The Penn State York Honors Program offers a special opportunity for students with outstanding academic ability to enrich and broaden their general education and to deepen their preparation for graduate study or for a profession. Students enrolled in the program select from a variety of honors courses, honors options or independent studies designed to encourage strong students to succeed in the early stages of their University education.
- minimum high school grade-point average of at least 3.2
- minimum Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores of 1,650 or higher
- visit to campus and completion of honors program essay
- a minimum Penn State average of 3.4 or better
- small classes designed for honors students
- priority course registration opportunities
- one-on-one work with award-winning faculty who integrate teaching and research
- use of Honors study lounge and computers in the Lee R. Glatfelter Library
- special trips arranged for honors students
- opportunity to receive scholarships if requirements are met (see below)
- certificate awarded following completion of 9 credits with an average of 3.00 or higher
- honors course work identified on your transcript
- library privileges (including semester-long book borrowing)
- potential to enroll in the Schreyer Honors College if you move to University Park
Students who have a minimum 3.2 high school grade-point average, a 1,650 or better SAT, and complete the honors program essay will be considered for one of twelve $3,000 scholarship for the first year if they are full-time students.
Students who have completed the required number of honors credits during their first year and have a 3.4 overall grade-point average and a 3.0 grade-point average in their honors course work may be eligible for a scholarship of $1,000 (on a funds available basis) for the second year. Students should contact Dr. Haiduke Sarafian, the honors coordinator, for more information.
Honors Program Contacts
Director of Admissions
Dr. Haiduke Sarafian
717-771-4093 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Available Honors Courses
Below is the list of the honors courses for the upcoming semester. Most honors courses are designated by an H, T or U unless they have "Honors" in the title, e.g. English 30, Honors Freshman Composition. Courses with honors options have no specific designation.
* Honors courses accommodate only honors students. Honors course options are open to the general student population, including honors students.
Honors Courses Spring 2014
Introduction to Engineering Design
Course: EDSGH 100 H
Instructor: C. Gaston
General Physics: Fluids and Thermal Physics
Course: PHYS 213 H
Instructor: H. Sarafian
General Physics: Wave Motion and Quantum Physics
Course: PHYS 214 H
Instructor: H. Sarafian
Course: STAT 200 H
Instructor: M. Wijesinha
Honors course options - Students may contact instructors to explore the possibilities for Honors options.
* The Honors option forms can be downloaded or obtained from the honors program coordinator, Dr. Haiduke Sarafian, by visiting his office (Room 24, Main Classroom Building), or e-mailing him at email@example.com.