The Penn State York Honors Program offers a special opportunity for students with outstanding academic ability to enrich and broaden their general education and to deepen their preparation for graduate study or for a profession. Students enrolled in the program select from a variety of honors courses, honors options or independent studies designed to encourage strong students to succeed in the early stages of their University education.
- minimum high school grade-point average of at least 3.2
- minimum Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores of 1,650 or higher
- visit to campus and completion of honors program essay
- a minimum Penn State average of 3.4 or better
- small classes designed for honors students
- priority course registration opportunities
- one-on-one work with award-winning faculty who integrate teaching and research
- use of Honors study lounge and computers in the Lee R. Glatfelter Library
- special trips arranged for honors students
- opportunity to receive scholarships if requirements are met (see below)
- certificate awarded following completion of 9 credits with an average of 3.00 or higher
- honors course work identified on your transcript
- library privileges (including semester-long book borrowing)
- potential to enroll in the Schreyer Honors College if you move to University Park
Students who have a minimum 3.2 high school grade-point average, a 1,650 or better SAT, and complete the honors program essay will receive consideration for a $1,000 scholarship for the first year of their full-time enrollment in addition to any additional aid they may be awarded by the university.
Students who have completed the required number of honors credits during their first year and have a 3.4 overall grade-point average and a 3.0 grade-point average in their honors course work may be eligible for a scholarship of $1,000 (on a funds available basis) for the second year. Students should contact Dr. Haiduke Sarafian, the honors coordinator, for more information.
Honors Program Contacts
Director of Admissions
Dr. Haiduke Sarafian
717-771-4093 or email@example.com
Available Honors Courses
Below is the list of the honors courses for the upcoming semester. Most honors courses are designated by an H, T or U unless they have "Honors" in the title, e.g. English 30, Honors Freshman Composition. Courses with honors options have no specific designation.
* Honors courses accommodate only honors students. Honors course options are open to the general student population, including honors students.
Honors Courses Spring 2014
Introduction to Engineering Design
Course: EDSGH 100 H
Instructor: C. Gaston
General Physics: Fluids and Thermal Physics
Course: PHYS 213 H
Instructor: H. Sarafian
General Physics: Wave Motion and Quantum Physics
Course: PHYS 214 H
Instructor: H. Sarafian
Course: STAT 200 H
Instructor: M. Wijesinha
Honors course options - Students may contact instructors to explore the possibilities for Honors options.
* The Honors option forms can be downloaded or obtained from the honors program coordinator, Dr. Haiduke Sarafian, by visiting his office (Room 24, Main Classroom Building), or e-mailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org.